Tuesday, December 7, 2010

"But it's Me in the Bed!"

We got to the hospital at around 11:00 as instructed by the pre-assessment nurse the day before.  It was very cold and I forgot the "speed pass" in the car so Clint had to go back to the top of the parking garage while I waited outside.  My stomach was already a wreck.  The anxiety, the emptiness, and the wine the night before all were doing their part to make my GI system miserable.  We went straight to the Day Surgery center and gave them our "speed pass" which let them know all my paperwork and intake was complete.  They told us to have a seat and they would call us in a moment.  I had my black leather overnight bag and my purse.  Packing for a day surgery was a little confusing, Hell, packing for any kind of surgery is weird.  My time in hospitals had taught me to bring a cardigan, chapstick, and comfy pants for afterwards.  I packed my new zip-front black high impact sports bra, a tank, and some flip flops.  I didn't want to wear slouchy clothes there though.  I wore my low rise torn AE jeans that make my butt look amazing, a stylish pullover sweater with wooden toggles & a fabulous collar, and my tan Steve Madden ballet flats with the zippers.  I was determined that even though they were about to destroy my near perfect breasts at least I would look hot!  We had just sat down in the very small waiting area directly in front of the day surgery center when a nurse came out and called my name.  She said my room was ready.  I was a little confused and surprised but followed her down the hall past a nurses station.  My own room?  This is just a day surgery why do I need my own room?  When I got to the room she asked me my stats.  Name, Dr., Birthday, procedure being performed today.  These would be asked of me about every 30 to 60 minutes ALL DAY LONG!   She put three bracelets on my wrists.  One with my info, One with my NKDA(no known drug allergies), and One calling for nothing to be done with my left arm.  My pain was pretty consistent especially in my armpit, so they would use my right arm for all iv's.  The nurse told me to put on the gown and she would return in a minute.  I looked at Clint sitting in the chair against the wall.  I looked at the hospital bed in front of me with that gown laying on it.  He said, "Here we are again." with a small smile, referencing all the hours and nights spent in hospitals during the course of his father's battle with cancer.  I looked at and felt my chin begin to quiver.  I said, " But, Baby, this time it's me.  It's ME in the bed!"  He came over and helped me change into my gown.  I got in the bed and waited.  He found an episode of Law and Order SVU on TV.  The nurse returned and asked about my food(which was non-existent), my fluids(also non-existent), and my regular medications.  I don't take any prescription medications on a regular basis so this meant my daily doses of vitamins and herbs.  I was told to bring them but she didn't seem to need them.  The pre-assessment nurse had looked at all of this the previous day.  She began to explain the schedule of the day a little and I realized I had a little time to wait.  The people from Solis would come to get me at 1:00 for the wire placement.  I kept wondering if I would have to get dressed again. What about my shoes, it was really cold outside.  My nurse tried to start my IV and was unable.  She stuck me about 3 times and used the vein finder all with no luck.  She said the kept moving and she would prefer the people upstairs do it.  I didn't know who these magical vein finding people upstairs were but if it meant less sticking I was all for it.  She left and I attempted to nap despite the screaming stomach and the annoying cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment