Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Ugly Bra and Heart Shaped Pillow

       After about 30 minutes or so I had a visitor.  She was in her early sixties with short grey hair and a warm smile. She was wearing a pink house/lab coat over her regular clothes and seemed to be carrying a bag.  She introduced herself as a volunteer with the Jean Katz Breast Center and said she was there to answer any questions that she could and give me some information about what to expect during recovery.  She had no way of knowing that I am obsessive compulsive about knowing what to expect and had been blogging with other women for two months.  She explained that I would not want to put my regular bra back on and proceeded to reach into her "Mary Poppins Breast Cancer Bag".  She brought out a strange plastic package containing something white inside it.  She had an extra one in her bag that was not in a package for demonstrations.  It was the ugliest bra I had ever seen.  It had at least 4 or 5 hook & eye closure's in the front, straps wide enough to practically cover my shoulders, and absolutely no shape or support at all!!!!  I, of course had already gone out and purchased a rather expensive, sleek, black, front zip sports bra from the athletic store. But I kept that to myself not wanting to rain on her parade. 
         Next she went back to her "Mary Poppins" bag and retrieved a heart shaped red flower pillow that looked like something my grandmother might have used on her bed.  She explained that it's shape actually worked really well for pain relief after surgery.  If placed under the arm it both supported the arm and protected the breast at the same time.  It was also small enough to travel easily.   The care and consideration were greatly appreciated but I also was beginning to feel like a cancer patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment