Friday, December 10, 2010

The Healthiest Patient of the Day!

I was taken to the holding area before surgery.  This is where I would continue to be asked by another dozen Dr.'s and Nurses my name, my birthday and what I was having done that day.  I met the Anesthesiologist and his asst.  I met a bunch of nurses they all asked the same FREAKING questions!  I get it.  They are attempting to be safe and reduce malpractice situations but when you are in a lot of pain it is just annoying.  The Anesthesiologist's assistant asked me a bunch of questions and they took my temperature and blood pressure.  I was asked about smoking and exercise.  I explained that I haven't smoked since 1998 and I run at least  2 miles a day, 4 to 5 days a week.  They asked about prescription medication taken regularly.  I told them about the recent hydrocodone and ibuprofen then listed all my vitamins, herbs, and minerals that I take daily.  They seemed shocked to have a patient who was not taking a prescription medication on a daily basis.  My blood pressure is always good and sometimes lower than the average.  They all seemed to be so impressed with the information I was giving them.  I was FREEZING, in PAIN, and ANNOYED with all the QUESTIONS!  One of them said, "Wow!  You are definitely the healthiest patient of the day!"  Although they were being complimentary I couldn't help but think, "Not healthy enough obviously.  Ya'll are about to put me under and cut me open."

No comments:

Post a Comment