Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Results

    I decided to prepare myself for results by spending some much needed time with my best friend.  We went to breakfast Mon. and talked it all out.  She had done some research and I of course had done entirely too much research.  She said something that has stuck with me.  She said, "I am not worried about you being able to battle or fight a disease like cancer.  You are strong, healthy, fit, and you know a lot about this stuff.  What I am worried about is your Pyschological strength and your self-esteem."  Her comments were so dead on it made me cry.  It is odd at times how few people really know me.....to the core.  Towards the end of breakfast I got the call.  The Radiologist said my microcalcifications that were taken were benign but they discovered some cells that were diagnosed as Atypical Lobular Hyperplasia.  That means that the cells were "odd looking" compared to normal healthy cells and they were reproducing too fast.  There were too many of them in one area.  This can sometimes be a sign that nearby there are pre-cancerous or cancerous cells.  So he said, "In order to make sure this isn't the tip of the iceburg" you need to have an excisional surgical biopsy.  Do you have a breast surgeon?"  He then began to give me names of surgeons who are well respected and I told him I had an appointment scheduled in three weeks.  That seemed like an eternity to me but he seemed to think that was pretty fast.  I hashed out the results with my friend. Made the calls to my husband, my mom and little sister.  My little sister suggested I call the surgeon and request an earlier appt. based on the new pathology report.  I did exactly that and got in in two days. I never thought I would be so excited to get to see the Breast Surgeon sooner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment